In the age of pandemics and processed foods, it’s more important than ever for our body’s immune system to be strengthened against attacks. Learning how to boost your immune system naturally is a critical step in any wellness journey.
To help increase your body’s defenses, Green Gorilla™ products like our CBD Capsules — Defense contain natural immune boosters like CBD, elderberry, and vitamin C. We’ll walk you through why these compounds are important and what you can do to help prevent illness and stay happy and healthy the natural way!
Note: taking CBD and other supplements with medication can cause your medication to become less effective or even too effective. Always check with your doctor before changing your diet or health regimen.
How Your Immune System Works
You can receive entire doctorates studying how the immune system works, but for the average Joe to learn how to boost your immune system naturally, let’s at least cover the basics.
The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases states that the immune system’s overall function is to “prevent or limit infection.” Its job is ultimately to distinguish between healthy cells and unhealthy cells. When the immune system recognizes an unhealthy cell, an immune response activates, and your body will begin to fight off the problem.
Our immune systems are incredible, but they’re not flawless, and this complex network can easily be compromised. If you’re immunocompromised, immune responses can be activated with no real threat or can sometimes fail to activate at all. That’s why we must be aware of how we’re treating our bodies. Eating right, supplementing wisely, and exercising frequently can all help keep our immune systems running as smoothly as possible.
How Natural Immune Boosters Can Help
Mother Nature has given us all the nutrients we need to thrive. If you eat a balanced diet with a variety of essential nutrients, you can help boost your immune system naturally.
It’s important to note that taking supplements and eating well does not guarantee that you prevent all illnesses. Proper nutrition and living a healthy lifestyle will simply decrease your chances of falling ill, which can make all the difference.
Here are some of the most nutrient-rich, natural immune-boosting vitamins you should incorporate into your healthy diet:
- Vitamin C. If you’ve ever tried to prevent a cold in the winter, you know how important vitamin C is. You can find vitamin C in citrus fruits such as oranges and grapefruits, but you can also find vitamin C in vegetables such as kale, broccoli, and spinach. It pays to eat your fruits and vegetables!
- Vitamin E. This antioxidant is important for helping your body fight off infection. You can easily find vitamin E in nuts and seeds.
- Vitamin B6. This vitamin plays an important part in regulating your immune function, blood sugar, and metabolism. You can find it in salmon, tuna, chicken, and chickpeas.
- Zinc. Zinc supports the immune system and healthy vision and also helps prevent blood clots and thyroid issues. Oysters are notoriously rich in zinc, but you can also find zinc in many common foods such as milk, cheese, lentils, avocados, dark chocolate, and nuts. These are some of our favorite natural immune-boosting superfoods.
- Elderberries. All fruits are important for your immune system, but elderberries contain a large number of immune-boosting antioxidants that are important for your overall health. Elderberry contains significant quantities of vitamins A, B, and C.
- Reishi mushrooms. These mushrooms are very popular in Eastern medicine and are gradually becoming more popular in the West. Studies suggest that this mushroom contains compounds that boost the immune system naturally and some even refer to it as the “mushroom of immortality.”
- Hemp extract and cannabidiol (CBD). If you’ve been following wellness trends, you’ve probably heard how people are using cannabinoids to help protect their immune health. CBD interacts with your endocannabinoid system, which in turn can balance your immune system.
Other Ways to Boost Your Immune System Naturally
Your immune system affects your whole body, and therefore, everything you do to your body affects your immune system. Diet is incredibly important when you’re trying to boost your immune system naturally, but other factors play a role.
For better immune health, Harvard Medical School recommends the following:
- Get adequate sleep
- Avoid situations that trigger nervousness
- Drink in moderation (if and when you drink)
- Don’t smoke
- Stay active
- Keep up-to-date with your vaccines
- Steer clear of pseudoscience and always consult a doctor for personalized advice
Does CBD Help Your Immune System?
We mentioned above that CBD is a natural immune booster, but there’s more to it than that. It can help balance the endocannabinoid system found in your body and mind so you can sleep well, stay calm, and boost your defenses. CBD is the primary ingredient in our daily capsule supplements for a reason!
Find a Trusted Source for Supplements
If you’re interested in learning how to boost your immune system naturally with CBD, start with a trusted brand. CBD is not a registered drug with the FDA in the United States, so you need to ensure that your hemp products are coming from an independently lab-tested source. Look for organic certification on the label, and make sure you take the products that are right for you.
Green Gorilla™ is proud to have paved the way as the first USDA Certified Organic hemp CBD brand in the US. We’ve set the gold standard for quality in the CBD industry, and all of our hemp comes from our own sustainable, eco-friendly farms and farming partners. If you’re interested in learning more about how to boost your immune system naturally, visit our blog or shop online.